2018 Other Events
Sunday, April 29th
Firehouse Center for the Arts
One Market Square
The brainchild of former U.S. Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky, The National Favorite Poem Project was launched in 1997 to celebrate the sheer pleasure of poetry with the public at large. Pinsky put out a call for favorite poems and received eighteen thousand responses from Americans of diverse regions, ages, and backgrounds. For the past fifteen years, the Creative Writing Class at Newburyport High School has produced the Favorite Poem Project of Greater Newburyport.
We are currently seeking submissions for our Sixteenth Annual Favorite Poem Project. Once again, we hope to receive poems from a broad spectrum of people, young and old, prominent and barely known.
- A representative sample of poems will be chosen for a public reading on Sunday, April 29 at 4:30 am at The Firehouse Center for the Arts.
- Poems may be old or modern, famous or obscure, English or another language with a translation. Along with the poem we request a brief statement of why this poem has personal meaning to you.
- We are not looking for literary analysis, so much as to share each person’s experience of a poem written by someone else.
- Students will read and consider all entries, so the more entries we receive, the more poetry students will read!
To submit a poem for consideration, please send it to Mrs. Szabo at Newburyport High School, 241 High Street, Newburyport, MA 01950 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2018.
- Please include a copy of the poem, a brief paragraph explaining why it is a favorite, your name, your e-mail address, your phone number, and a piece of identifying information, such as your profession and/or age, so we can be sure to have a varied group of readers and poems at the performance.